This is for a category that hasn’t quite popped into existence yet
- I don’t normally measure things exactly, unless there is a chemical reaction involved. This is not because I think I am Rachel Ray, it is because I find it easier to taste things as I go.
- I don’t believe in “healthy cooking,” I believe in portion control and moderation. I don’t purposely do “low-fat” or “low-calorie” foods unless they happen to taste fantastic. Some of my recipes are full of butter, bacon, dressings, drippings, “white” carbs, sugar and other “bad” foods. The secret is to eat only small portions of these foods and only eat them occasionally.
- I do follow the federal guidelines for portion/serving sizes. This means 3-4 oz. of meat is a serving, as is 1/2 c. rice, 1/2 c. veggies, etc. If you want larger servings, my recipes will feed less people.
- My cooking times are very loose. My stove and oven are quite uncooperative and the times vary greatly. Please watch what you are cooking and use a thermometer to make sure meats are cooked to the appropriate level of doneness.
- I like a LOT of garlic and other seasonings. Don’t be afraid to tone down some of the seasonings. On the other hand, I rarely cook with salt, as I prefer to add it at the table. (I also cheat and use prepared garlic, ginger, etc. packed in water.)